January 6, 1938 was a great and glorious day recorded in the annals of the Bangalore convent. Our dear mother virginie was chosen as the pioneer for the new foundation at Bangalore. Mother Jean Bosco and Mother St. Augustine were the co-pioneers. The enthusiastic missionaries were welcomed by his excellency, Msgr Maurice B Despartures at the railway station they proceeded to Ulsoor. Where St.Charles Convent would be situated. it was quite close to the new church of Our Lady of Lourdes. Msgr Despartures celebrated the first mass for the community in a temporary chapel in the convent on Feb 11, 1938. A little dispensary was blessed by Rev.F.X.Noronha. The poor patients seeking remedies for their ills visited the dispensary. So much so that by Feb 25 four hundred patients had already been treated in the dispensary.
In 1944 Rev.Fr.Cyril browns had started a K.G school on 11 Clarke Road, with an view of providing a basic Christian education to the catholic children of the locality. The sisters were contacted and offer was made to take over the project. Mother Virginie at once recognised the will of God and readily accepted the offer. The first inspection of the school was on June 11,1946. Dr .Huster was very pleased to see the rapid development of the school and the efficiency of the staff. There was now scope for educating the many Indian and Anglo Indian children of the locality. When the sisters of St.Charles after occupying several temporary dwellings in Richards town settled in the present property at Hennur Road. The new St,Charles school building was blessed on May 22,1950 by Msgr.Thomas Pothacamury Bishop Of Bangalore. On November 1st 1950 mother St John was appointed superior of the convent. Nirmala Kannada Primary School was begun on May 25 1952.Mother Angela was the first headmistress.
Nirmala Dispensary was opened and blessed on Feb 11,1958 by Fr. Sean Kelleher CSSR who was the convent chaplain from 1956-1959. His grace the Archbishop of Bangalore S.D Lourdhuswamy blessed the St.Charles Maternity Home on June 7 1959. On August 25 1969 the crèche was opened for the children of working mothers. The sisters who served at Nirmala Dispensary were Sr.Tresa Arackal, Sr.Bede,Sr.Flavy, Dr.Sr.Veronica, R.Sr.Regina Suares, Sr.Alice, Sr.Aleyamma, Sr.O.V.Mary. The new orphanage building was blessed on March 19, 1970 the abandoned children were given shelter, care and education by the sisters.
In 1970 Sr.Sophie started development work in the slum of Baglur lay out. This became a centre for non-formal education and social development work for women.in course of time this project was sanctioned by the government. With the aid of the Karnataka Women and Child Welfare Department the permission to begin a destitute cottage for the children of Bagulur layout was granted in 1974.
What we are today is the fruit of the hard work and sacrifices of our pioneers and all the sisters who rendered their joyful services to reach to this level of progress, growth and development of the community and its apostolate.